[Amc-list] silly ford axle question?

8" axles are generally "JUNK" also. cost almost as
much to build as a 9", a LOT weaker. the pinion gears
break easy in them from my expierences with them.
small block frauds in the mav's and they bust the
pinions. if i got the money when the time comes, 9" is
the way for me. set it all up, and not worry about it
for quite some time. about a 3.55 or so gear for me
also, with a viscous clutch limited slip, for easy
street driving, and im good to go. maybe a disk
upgrade also.

if not a 9", 8.8 out of an explorer/mountaineer looks
promissing. i have a 97 mountaineer. 8.8, factory
trackloc, disk brakes. not sure how much narrower an
american is, but it dont look to far off from the
width to fit under my classics.....

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules