Re: [Amc-list] Re; 'Flexible Flyers'

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 12:09 -0700, Jim Blair wrote:
> A: Unlike the early Rambler lower joints which would pop off when run
> through the potholes, leaving the driver with a buckled fender and hopefully
> none the worse for wear!

As a kid I was always dutifully told (by the same people who said "the
327 is a chebby") that the wheels always fall off of ramblers. I guess
this is the source of it (eg. lower trunnions).

I've got the old "Type 1" trunnion in my 63 American. Luckily, they are
in very good shape; after cleaning etc the threads are all good and good
clearances. The parts catalog shows a "TYPE 2" which is pretty much the
same except the knuckle protrudes through the trunnion, and has a castle
nut, washer and pin. "If the SOBs won't grease them at least we'll pin
them in place!" Like mittens with strings.