Re: [Amc-list] 4 speed Automatic 2wd Aisin Warner Trannies

Andrew, there are electric switch kits that will hold the trans in first until you flip the switch. Check Jeep sites (I can't recall any specific one). I recall a couple people making kits, but you can find wiring plans on-line. It might cause a trouble light, especially in OBDII models. It can't be done with a manual shifter because of the way the valve body works. The valve body restricts shifting when placed in a position other than drive hydraulically, not electronically. That allows a fail-safe method of getting home should the computer fail. I forget how it shifts if the computer is off and shifting is with the lever -- it skips one gear, I think second. That makes sense anyway, since the first shifter position is 1-2. But it might be 3rd gear that gets skipped.

------------------------
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:35:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" It's dirt simple to make a controller to place the trans in 1st or second and
get it to hold.
" It's totally electronic. A couple of switches will do the trick.
" Frank uses a rotary in his with no TCU.
" You might want to use some diodes to keep from backfeeding the tcu.

i know that's simple.  i want to make a full-auto controller that
splits the present 1/2 into separate 1 and 2 detents, so that the
shift quadrant becomes p-r-n-d-3-2-1 instead of p-r-n-d-3-(2/1).
since the full-manual controller is possible this should be possible
too.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"