Re: [Amc-list] 9" vs 10" Brakes

Again, it's not the surface area or the amount of pressure to push on the shoe.  When you apply more pressure, you step into the realm of coefficient of friction, heat, etc. etc. until you stop the rotation.  Then all the stopping power transfers from the brake system to the traction of the tires. Can 1/2" extra lever be that effective???  With the levels of force we are dealing with here, yes it can.  How much additional force is applied with a 1/2" extra stroke in an engine?  Quite a bit.