Re: [Amc-list] 71 or 72 Crank?

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:56:01 -0500
From: Todd Tomason <jayscore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I got a good deal on a rebuilt 360 shortblock at the local machine shop.  He's
had it for several years.  The fellow that brought it in never paid for it.

The owner of the machine shop thought it was a 71 or a 72.  We're putting this
in my son's Matador with a 727 transmission.  How do I verify that the crank
will mate up correctly to the Chrysler transmission?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd, the 71 crank will have a perfectly flat flange on the back with a pilot hole. The 72+ crank has a raised section in the middle. Well, it isn't perfectly flat. Hard to describe -- but if it's not a flat flange it's 72 or later. If it's a 71 you can buy an adapter that just bolts on from any of the big AMC vendors.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"