Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8s in Atlanta

A: It's strictly a do-it-yourself outfit. You're responsible for
actually disconnecting everything holding the engine in place. The yard
crew *will* bring out a forklift and lift the engine out of the vehicle
for you and will assist you loading it in your vehicle. By "sans
accessories" that means it's essentially just a long block with the
intake, valve covers, and oil pan all still in place. Does not include
carb, distributor, or stuff like power steering pump or alternator. Most
of the time you can get away with leaving the engine mount brackets in
place. When I bought the 401, I did manage to get the distributor as
well at no extra charge. The yard cashier usually won't go out and
physically inspect the engine, they will usually just take your word for
what you got. When I bought the 401, I removed the two-ton intake
manifold and left it behind. Of course, if you do need the
carb/alternator/steering pump, etc they'll be more than happy to sell
them to you-extra.
That's the essence of the PullAPart yard---cheap prices in exchange for
you doing (most) all the work yourself. And, PullAPart is in the midst
of a huge expansion. Go to www.pullapart.com and look at their location
chart. They are expanding in many areas and have a good list of "future
locations" listed. They also have a price list posted.

Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee
79 Spirit GT
72 Javelin SST
69 Ambassador DPL

Clarence Milstead wrote:

Sounds fantastic, nothing like that around here. Makes me want to jump
in my
van and head East. One question though. How would I get the engine and
transmission out of the car and on my trailer? I can't do it by myself.
Would the yard crew help or what? When you say sans accessories does
that
mean "bare?" What would I have to buy/find to make it run? If I can get
good one for a reasonable price I might buy it and store it until I'm
ready
to put it in the Gremlin.