[Amc-list] big(ger) drum brakes on early American

[Amc-list] big(ger) drum brakes on early American

Now that I have it apart...

Man, 10" drums ALMOST! fit... it might actually work...

As-is, the backing plates interfere at the steering arm. No surprise
there, it's obvious. Notching it "might work" but weakening brake parts
seems like a really bad idea.

But the arm has a radius... if the backing plate was spaced outwards by
1/4", it *just* clears! I think. I'll mock it up on reassembly.

The next problem is that the brake drum hits the tie rod end. (I have a
64 Ambassador front drum.) But if there was no flange, or the flange was
turned off...

Then the next problem is that American wheels don't fit on Ambassador
drums.

OK so it is probably more hassle than it's worth, but I will mock up the
parts, measure and photo for Posterity.

But much easier is 9x2.5 drums. This will work fine. I have Jim's
ex-Gremlin parts (thanks!) here. They are different from 9x2 backing
plates in one regard: the height of the anchor post. If it wasn't for
that, you could simply put shoes, drum, wheel cyl on the 9x2 backing
plate. It might still work; I have the parts to mock THAT up and I will
do so... for Posterity.

But 9x2.5 front drums will be a good improvement with little hassle
since I have it all apart and the iron parts laying around.