Re: [Amc-list] squeeks and rattles

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:46:53 -0500
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Rattles gone, clunks gone. Thanks again for the tips guys.
I took some photos of the process. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out
how to post them.
--------------------------

Well, you can't post pictures to the list. You can post a link from any photo site though. Try something like www.photobucket.com. They are free and auto copy link addresses for pasting into a post.

---------------------------

Couple more annoying things left to do now is all.

Speedometer needle still bounces around when speeds are under 35 to 40 mph.
I tried unhooking both ends of the cable and rolled the car back and forth.
Then tried
just the cable under the dash, still getting the bouncy bouncy. I like that
in a girls chest
but not with the speedometer needle. Wish I knew what the heck was with that
thing!!!!
----------------------

Disconnect on one end and pull the cable out of the housing. Clean the cable then wipe some lube on it and stick back in. Well, before sticking back in inspect it and the housing. Make sure the housing has no sharp bends. Sharp bends and/or lube will usually cause a bouncy needle.

----------------------

Drove the car to Spencer Iowa and back a week ago yesterday. About a 114
miles on the odometer, used 9 gallons of gas, that's 12.66 mpg. That sucks!

Remember it's a stock 304 with the Fomoco 2 bbl, 2.87 gears, G60-14 tires
and T-5 manual with .63 overdrive. I wonder if running in 4th gear instead of 5th would be
better. Gotta get a tachometer so I know what rpm its running at 70 mph.

I'm willing to bet you WILL get better mileage running in fourth with a 2.87 rear axle! When in OD it's as if you had a 2.64 rear axle -- way to high! You should shoot for something like 2.87-3.55 when the trans is IN OD (minimum to maximum). If you had a 3.50 rear gear you'd have a great combo (3.50 - 0.63 = 2.87). A 3.08 out of a Jeep Cherokee would work well. If you don't have enough gear the engine may be strong enough to pull it without lugging or straining, but it's still having to work a lot harder. I get better mileage with my Classic with a 3.55 gear than I did with a 3.08 (I have a 0.70 OD, automatic though). You need to run 1800-2000 rpm at cruising speed, no more than 2400-2500 at your high cruising speed. The AMC sixes seem to like a cruising speed of 1800-2500 rpm when using a near stock camshaft. I use a slightly better (a little more lift and duration) than stock cam, but it's feeding a 4.6L stroker -- I just tried to select a cam to make up for the added disp
 laceme
nt.

--
Frank Swygert