[Amc-list] Gas Miliage?

Snip
Drove the car to Spencer Iowa and back a week ago yesterday. About a 114
miles on the
odometer, used 9 gallons of gas, that's 12.66 mpg. That sucks!

Remember it's a stock 304 with the Fomoco 2 bbl, 2.87 gears, G60-14
tires
and T-5 manual
with .63 overdrive. I wonder if running in 4th gear instead of 5th would
be
better. Gotta get a
tachometer so I know what rpm its running at 70 mph.
Snip
That's inneresting!
My 77 Matador auto/w what ever rear/G70-14/304/Fomoco 2bbl would knock
out 11 mpg any day of the week but with a 22 gallon gas tank it did not
bother me all that much, however-
My '70 Donohue 390 w/open chamber heads/Isky cam/Carter 625 cfm 4bbl/
Free flows/H-pipe and duals turbo mufflers/3.15:1/T-5 w.63 Overdrive
would knock down 21 at a sustained 70 although it rarely got much better
than 10 around town.
My personal feeling on something of that nature is if you can get the
engine to develop power efficiently gas mileage will improve.
A 304 2bbl engine is not an efficient package. Or at least mine never
was.
John.