[Amc-list] V8 AMC Engine Build

Thought I would post this up as it is fairly complete and may help
others organize their engine projects. Note that this build incorporates
the Edelbrock MPEFI kit wich includes a distributor, fuel pump, and
other items not listed seperately below.

I laid the list out in an Excel spreadsheet with costs (not included
below) to keep track of everything.

Below the list of parts is my finished Blueprint specs.

CORE
*401* Block AMC
Crank AMC
Rods AMC

SHORT BLOCK MACHINE WORK
Block Clean Up & Magna Flux Inspection CHS
Deck Squaring CHS
Bore +.040, Hone With Torque Plate CHS
Crankshaft surfacing, .010/.010 CHS
Rod Sizing CHS
Bush Rods for .9272 Floating wrist pin CHS
Balance Rotating Assembly CHS

SHORT BLOCK COMPONENTS
Hypereutectic Pistons, 28cc D-cup KB354 UEM-KB354040-8
Harmonic Balancer Rebuilt OEM 910 4501I
Flexplate, *401* to 727 Pioneer
Rod Bushings Custom
Rod Bolts ARP
Piston Rings, Molly Top Sealed Pwr SLP-E-302K40
Freeze Plugs Pioneer
Main Bearings Clevite 77
Rear Main Seal Fel Pro
Rod Bearings Clevite 77
Cam Bearings Dura Bond
1/2"Head Bolt & Tranny Locating Dowel Set PAS
Crank Oil Slinger PAS
Torque Converter Bolt Kit ARP
Flexplate to Crank Bolts ARP

HEADS
Dog Leg Heads, 090 Castings AMC
Cleaning & Magnaflux Inspection CHS
Mill Facing CHS
Bowl Sizing CHS
Un-shroud Valves/Open Chambers To 63-65cc's CHS
Machine for Guide Plates CHS
Install Hardened Exhaust Seats CHS
Valve Job, three angle with 30deg seat CHS
Stainless Valve Set, 2.025/1.68, 3/8 Stem
Valve Springs, Locks & Retainers, Lifters Crower 84045
Valve Guides, Bronze CHS
Exhaust Seats CHS
Valve Seals
Rocker Studs, 7/16" ARP
Port Matching ME
Guide Plates PAS
Brass Freeze Plug Kit Pioneer
Head Gaskets,.045 compressed, 4.275 bore Victor
Head Bolts AMC

LONG BLOCK COMPONENTS
Timing cover (nickle) W/Pump, Midplate, Adapter Bulltear
Timing Cover/Water Pump Gaskets ROL
Alum Water Pump Flowmaster 1781
Timing Chain Set Rollmaster CS7110
Stainless Fasteners, Pan, Mani, Pumps, Etc PAS
7qt Deep Sump Oil Pan Bulltear
Deep Sump Pick Up Tube Bulltear
Pan Gasket, SCE
Dip Stick Bulltear
Oil Filter WIX 51258

INDUCTION AND VALVETRAIN
Cam, 253/260 dur@.006, 485/502 lift, 112LSA Engle 5254H
Push Rod Set, Hardened
Roller Rockers Harland Sharp
Performer RPM Pro Flo MPEFI Edelbrock EDL-3531
Thermostat Housing, Billet RobbMCPerformance
Thermostat Housing Gasket
Distributor Drive Gears, Bulltear
PCV Grommet HELP 42060
Intake Manifold Gaskets
Stainless Oil Fill Tube/Billet Cap Bulltear
Valve Covers, Nickle Plated Bulltear
Valve Cover Gaskets

EXHAUST
Headers, Tri-Y, Ceramic Coated Thorley DTE-616YC

ELECTRICAL
Mini Starter
MSD 6A
Ignition Coil (E-Core) Mallory MAA-30440

FINISHED BLUEPRINT SPECIFICATIONS
408cid
Cylinder Bore (+.040) 4.205
Deck Height (-.007") 9.201
Reconditioned Stroke 3.675
Reconditioned Rod Length 5.855
Piston Compression Height, 1.510
Piston TDC To Deck Clearance, Neg# = Piston Above Deck -0.0015
Head Gasket Compressed Thickness 0.045
Quench Distance 0.043
Head Gasket Bore 4.275
Compression Ratio w/65cc chmbr, 28cc Dish, per KB calculator 9.160

All right, if you must know I will have spent just under nine grand for
all of the above, including the purchase and shipping of core components
from across the country. Current status is that all block related
machine work is done and I am now waiting on head work to be finished
up. Once heads are done I will need to aquire the last 2200 worth of the
parts on the list to finish up - so get ready MC cuz most of those
remaining parts will be coming from you!
_________________
Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
"Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Last edited by 82Waggy on Sat May 19, 2007 12:53 pm; edited 6 times in
total

--

    Pulling some interesting reads off BT forum - for your Weekend Perusal Pleasure

                       ___
        =Bt=              /~   ~\
  milnersXcoupe          |_      |
   "The Heretic"         |/     __-__
                          \   /~     ~~-_
                           ~~ -~~\       ~\
                            /     |        \
               ,           /     /          \
             //   _ _---~~~    //-_          \
           /  (/~~ )    _____/-__  ~-_       _-\             _________
         /  _-~\\0) ~~~~         ~~-_ \__--~~   `\  ___---~~~        /'