[Amc-list] 66 Ambo still working on compression problem

Dave...thanx for the input...can you tell me how to figure out if some valves are stuck slightly open?  I got the timing cover off and timing does not appear to have slipped; the nylon cam gear is not chewed up at all.  So now I'm trying to figure out how to know if some valves are stuck partially open or  if I have stuck rings.  Thing that puzzles me is the engine has ran many times probably a dozen or so and quite a few times up to opperating temp.  No noises except the very first time I started it had a mis that I thought was due to a lifter not holding pressure for about the first 2 minutes but slowly noise went away in about the first 2 minutes of run time.  If you havnt seen my updated post please look at it it has some added info about which cylinders have no compression etc.  Thanx again, Duane

  Message: 15
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 06:33:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list]  66 Ambo 232 compression problem
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

there have been a couple of us having valve train
issues with cars that sat for a long time the last
couple weeks. myself, i had valves sticking in the
closed position bending pushrods. you might be having
where they are sticking in a partially open position.
i had 1 valve that was doing that. you say you got it
running for a little bit? i bet you had happen what
happend to us. it ran for a little bit, built heat up
and then formed that tar like "substance" on the
valvestem. check to make sure your valves are closing
ALL of the way. im going to just take a wild guess,
but are the ones that have no comrpession the ones in
the middle closest to the carb? (getting the most fuel
and that gunk of old dried up left over junk from fuel
in the tank like what happend with us?)

just a thought from someone who JUST got them issues
fixed.