Re: [Amc-list] 287 problems

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 17:19 -0700, d stohler wrote:
> so, i got the compression checked. 1 is at 125 psi.
> thats the lowest pressure. 1 is at almost 150 psi.
> that one is max. all the rest are between 125-140 psi.

There's not usually a fixed number; cylinder to cylinder variation tells
the tale. Ideally they'll be no more than 10 psi or so apart, but for an
older motor that's not been run much yet that sounds more or less fine,
and in any case it's unlikely to be your problem here with not running
well.

I usually take all the plugs out at once (or leave them all in except
the one under test, depends on how lazy I am) and count exactly three
compression strokes, and repeat each cylinder two or three times and
make sure the reading is pretty much the same each time. Consistency
matters more than anything. I'll get like 125, 125, 130, (measured after
the third stroke) and call that one a good measurement, and write down
125. That sort of thing.