[Amc-list] the 195.6 OHV engine

So I'm on Cape Cod visiting family and my very ill father, and took with
me the Dick Datson books. I've gone through them before, but they're not
linear stories, being just collections of postings to his old newsletter
(can't quickly now find a reference to the name of it (are they archived
anywhere?)). I decided that since I finally have one of these old sixes
it was time I read them end-to-end and an uncomfortable coast to coast
plane ride was the right enviornment.

Being a collection of clippings, there's a fair amount of repetition.
There's also *some* un-backed-up assertions, that may or may not torun
out to be true. But it's got a lot of good facts and trivia.

I think Datson's right -- the 195.6 OHV would make a good turbo motor.
(The 199 makes an EXCELLENT TOP-NOTCH turbo motor as he points out too,
but Navarro made that point in metal).

Clearly if sheer highest-number-of-HP is the point you'd go get a V8.
More than a few hundred HP in an early American would probably twist the
cowl off. Even Datson doesn't mention crank strength, except to point
out that it's forged.

He points out that the conn rods are SUPER LONG, and suggested that
maybe Navarro used 196.6OHV conn rods were used in the Indy six, which
would require custom pistons but otherwise the geometry works. (The
bottom end fits the 232 crank, the top end is smaller diameter, and
needs about .010" narrowing.)

(Unfortunately when I got the Navarro Indy six I did not get any
conecting rods. I did get pistons, so I can calculate rod length and
measure the small end width.)

The long stroke sucks for revving, and the available transmissions are
weak, but a T14 fits (I assume anything that fits the pre-72 new six
would bolt to the 195.6OHV).

225hp in an early American would be a hell of a lot of fun! It's hard to
believe that would kill the crank if the revs were kept low (4000 max)
and HP limited.

It seems like a reasonable project (that I have no plans to implement):
(1) install a tiny turbo that provides maximum boost at say 3600 rpm so
no wastegate etc needed; (2) install a T14 transmission; (3) newer AMC15
axle and custom driveshaft. None of that is hard or costs much money.

With the tiny boost needed, an airbox over a 1bbl carb would be no real
big deal, flows are all so small and there's room under the hood to put
the turbo sort-of next to the carb with a relatively long feed from the
stock manifold. At 3000 rpm, the stock motor is pumping under 130 cfm!

Another even lazier way to approach it is, how much HP can a T96 take?
Guesstimate that much boost and be done with it. Assuming this number
makes the effort worth the bother!