From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Re;	Fire up the way back Sherman, let's
visit
	the 1934 version of the	252
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Andrew
" Snip
" " What is the interest in the 252 other than History. The
engine dates
" " back to 1934 and it developed 75 hp at 3200 rpm. A real
power house in
" " it's day and application I am sure, sporting a compression
ratio of
" " 5.54:1 and 217 cu in. It was in production for a long period
of time
" as
"
" wasn't there also a straight-8 version, or was that of the
family it
" replaced?
" Snip
"
" AFAIK the straight 8 used in the Nash was not related to the
I-6 other
" than they were both made by the same company.

finally found my info, from frank swygert about 4 years ago.
the 8
was descended from the older sixes of the '20s, not the series
that
became the ohv 252.

" a lot of the '30's designs of engines were based on the size
of engine
" compartment that they had to live in rather than whether they
were
" a sound mechanical design or not.
" Not that they were the only one's to play that game. The last
of the
" Studebaker I-6's were overhead valve versions of the flat head
and
" if I remember them correctly still had the side inspection
plate
" installed
" that was removed to set the valve lifters as needed as a flat
head.

the chevy 194/215/230/250/292 also had side inspection plates;
i've
never understood why.  they never had side valves; never even
had
solid lifters.