Re: [Amc-list] 252 six

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 19:58 -0400, Archimedes wrote:
"
" > If you want to see a 196 do the jitterbug right through your hood, go
" > for it.
" >
" > They were weak in the bottom end and their most common problem was
" > spinning rod bearings and (eventually) throwing rods.
"
" []
"
" I know there's not a lot of bearings down there, and it's probably not a
" stiff crank.

it's steel though, maybe forged.

" > This was why AMC made a big deal about the 232 series being seven main
" > bearing.
"
" And our 40 years of history with it has shown it to be a Brick Sh*thouse
" of a motor!

and the crank is cast iron.  suitable iron was so new back then that
the '64 232 used it but the '63 chevy 230 didn't [though the 250's was
iron].

the mopar slant crank was steel up into the late '70s.  they
redesigned the block for larger journals when they finally went to an
iron crank.