Re: [Amc-list] seatbelts

I shouldn't have stated that there were no hard points -- I haven't paid enough attention to any of the 69+ cars I've seen without interiors really. I definitely haven't been looking! It's very possible that even though rear shoulder belts weren't mandatory that the anchor points were -- for future use. To be correct I should have simply stated that rear shoulder belts weren't installed in any AMC cars, even as an option, with the possible exception of the latest model Eagles, and I simply don't know about them.

------------------------------
From:    John K Gallagher <johnkgallagher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:    Fri, 1 Jun 2007

"As Matt pointed out, there are no hard points in ANY
AMC car (with the possible
exception of late model Eagles) for REAR shoulder
belts."

Frank, this is simply NOT TRUE.
Anchor Points for the two rear outside seating
positions were mandated as per federal law with the
1968 law. I have AMC shoulder belts installed in the
rear of my 1969 Javelin.

This is how I did it:
1.Swapped rear seat belt ends, this puts the buckle
towards the inside.
2.Installed 1968 AMC front shoulderbelts into the
factory anchorpoints beneath the rear 'packagetray'.
3.Finished it off by installing a 1971 packagetray
cover over the original. As you know, the 1971
packagetray is 2 inches shorter than the earlier ones.

Looks good, lasts long time.

Note that this 'mod' utilizes all AMC parts, however,
any modern 3-point system should also be a bolt in.

JKG

PS; if you want to post this please do.

--
Frank Swygert