[Amc-list] Oil Crisis Flashback - what were the code names of Vega, Pint

[Amc-list] Oil Crisis Flashback - what were the code names of Vega, Pinto ?

  < Source - Popular Science magazine February 1970 >

Seeing as how gas prices have spiked, and 37 years ago
the Big Three and AMC were considering coming out with
small economy cars to combat the small car foreign
invasion, I thought I'd throw out this Trivia Question
about the cars coming out in America.

GM came out with the Vega - what was it's code name
and project name?

Ford came out with the Pinto - it also had an early
generic name and TWO different project names, what
were they?

Chrysler was content to move on with their mid-size
cars, and the ads were for the Dart and Duster
comparing their size advantage and carrying capacity
to the VW. Didn't hear much about the gas mileage from
those ads, though.

The Vega code name may be easier, but unless you have
good references, the other names will be much tougher.
The Gremlin was already being called the Gremlin.
The early line drawing in this February issue had the
AMC back quarter panels and top rear roof areas
resembling the side profile of the AMX/GT, with no
fish-gills (although the gills were on the cover
drawing, same issue).
  Anyway, thought it'd be fun to see if anyone can
remember, Google, Wikipedia, etc. the correct
answer(s). If you do, please list your sources, I'd be
interested to see where yours came from.

Jerry Casper, The Gremlin Guy
WWW.geocities.com/caspercars