Re: [Amc-list] nasty nash

:

You just have to be careful looking at something like that! The "rat rod" craze has hit hard, and some people throw together whatever junk they have and call it a "rat rod". Some I've seen recently are plain death traps -- they shouldn't be on the road at all. This one looks rough, but if you look closely at the details you'll find that it's fairly well put together. There are good welds (they have been allowed to surface rust -- doesn't hurt anything) and things like brakes haven't been overlooked. The rear axle has nice heim joints and such. It would still need a close inspection before actually buying/driving, and it won't be registerable for the road in some states. you can't see everything in the photos, but there's enough good to think the builder built it with the intent to make it reasonably safe to drive. That it was driven in the 50s and 60s helps a little, but not much. Might be a fun car, but for $11K I could throw something together in a similar fashion. Finding
 the old
body and chassis would be the hard part, but then a true "rat rod" was built with what could be found.

To bad it doesn't have a big Twin-Six in front though, or even a straight eight!

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars