Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive gearing.

Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 14:09:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

If you don't mind splitting 2nd and 3rd with OD (would probably
add only a "few" seconds to your 1/4 mile ET) you can pretend
it's a 4-speed.

The way the OD is set up you can't split 2nd. If you happen to go fast enough in second that OD comes in, you just shift to third and it stays in OD. I set one up so that you could split shift, but it was way more trouble than it's worth, and I eventually blew out the OD because it wasn't wired to interrupt the ignition when dropping from OD -- just a power lead to the solenoid! Learned that doesn't work the hard way. But it did last long enough to determine that split shifting wasn't any faster -- in fact I bet the car is a bit SLOWER because of the split shifting. The Twin-Stick trans has a big gap between 2nd and 3rd gears and a much more complicated switch setup to allow split shifting for five forward gears.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"