Re: [Amc-list] Overdrive gearing.

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The only choice I can find for a replacement set of gears
> for the T5 puts it at .81 overdrive ratio, this would put
> me knocking on the door of 2500 rpm at 70 with 3:42's leaving
> nothing leftover for faster cruising.  > I may try the 3:73 axle

Ha! I got you all beat!

 		1st	2nd	3rd		2nd OD	3rd OD
RPM	CFM	MPH	MPH	MPH		MPH	MPH
1100	47	08.6	13.8	22.4		19.7	32.1
1250	53	09.8	15.6	25.5		22.3	36.4
1400	59	11.0	17.5	28.6		25.0	40.8
1550	66	12.1	19.4	31.6		27.7	45.2
1700	72	13.3	21.3	34.7		30.4	49.5
1850	79	14.5	23.2	37.7		33.1	53.9
2000	85	15.7	25.0	40.8		35.8	58.3
2150	91	16.8	26.9	43.9		38.4	62.7
2300	98	18.0	28.8	46.9		41.1	67.0
2450	104	19.2	30.7	50.0		43.8	71.4
2600	110	20.4	32.5	53.0		46.5	75.8
2750	117	21.5	34.4	56.1		49.2	80.1
2900	123	22.7	36.3	59.2		51.8	84.5
3050	129	23.9	38.2	62.2		54.5	88.9
3200	136	25.1	40.0	65.3		57.2	93.3

That's for the 63 American, 195.6OHV, 26" tires, 3.77 axle,
T-96 twin-stick. OD is .70.

If you don't mind splitting 2nd and 3rd with OD (would probably
add only a "few" seconds to your 1/4 mile ET) you can pretend
it's a 4-speed.

Note all that heavy breathing going on. CFM is total motor
pumping assuming 75% VE. What's that, 1/4th of a small Edelbrock?