Re: [Amc-list] rambler 327

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Jim Blair wrote:

> A: I'm way too far away to poke around with it, but I would give it one more
> try. Got any Aerokroil or PB"Laster? I sprayed the valve stems of a marine

I believe Aerokroil made my stuck-valve problem worse. Go here
and look at the bottom of the page, image on the left, and the
right-most on the row above. Click for closeup.

http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/index.html

What happened was, the umbrella seals went stiff. Motor was
eatin oil down the valve stems, bad, but not too bad. Then it
sat for N years.  Valves got sticky.

I got it to go as mentioned before, and sprayed Aerokroil at
the top of the seal, under the spring, with the engine running.
Valves freed up fine!

The next day, they stuck the same, or maybe worse. I pulled
the head, disassembled and this is what I found.

That back stuff is GUMMY, like roofing hot-top, in fact,
very analogous.  When hot, it's fluid; when cold, it's like
plastic. Nasty! It was easy to remove with solvent though.

What I believe happened is, all the ordinary burnt and gummed
motor oil on the stem and in the guide ran down the stem due
to the Kroil, then the heat drove away the volatiles, leaving
this gummy mass.

Before I figured this out, I had squirt Aerokroil along the
piston crown hoping to de-gum rings, followed by oil. Luckily
I haven't started it since doing that. Three weeks ago, I put
about 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder (I'd
cranked it by hand so that all pistons are partway down) and let
it soak. Hopefully it'll get into the ring grooves and displace
all the Kroil before I start it. (I'll crank it without plugs
to pump out the mystery oil (will make a mess) and all that.)