Re: [Amc-list] no guts in the 287

I don't think you need to take off the timing cover
plate to check the timing chain.  Stick a screwdriver
or rod through the number one spark plug hole and see
if the piston is at top dead center when the timing
mark indicates 0.

If it is still rising or falling at TDC, your chain
has jumped at least one sprocket.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA