Re: [Amc-list] AX15?

" From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I  have already installed one Mustang Transmission and have driven
" it behind a cooking version of a 390 for about 15 years now and
" really have no complaints.
" If I had the money and the inclination there are gear sets that would
" enable me to change the gear ratio of 1st and 2nd to give me a closer
" to a close ratio 4 speed with a deep over drive which would have
" done 2 things. Let me keep the 3.54:1 rear axle with out changing
" it and strengthened the transmission to specifications approaching
" those of a T-10.
" I am in the process of collecting parts for another Mustang conversion
" for either a 360 I am working on or to install behind my fuel injected
" I-6. If I get a later transmission than what is in my Javelin I might
" possibly switch it out and use it instead and install the newer
" transmission in my Javelin. I might even rebuild the transmission
" and change the ratios of 1st and 2nd to gain a strength benefit.
" But as of the moment, nothing I have read on the AX-15 even
" remotely interests me in going that route unless I have missed
" something important.
" Now if I really intended to abuse a 5 speed with a 400+ horsepower
" engine I might be inclined to obtain a 150T bell housing and install
" a (Mustang application) Tremec which definitely would take the abuse.
" 'specially if I have to buy 3  AX-15 transmissions to make one. Just
" order a Tremec to specifications and call it good to go. It would
" probably be cheaper in the long run.
" O.K., what am I missing?

i don't think you're missing anything.  from my viewpoint the r154 and
mustang t5 look very similar overall, with advantages and tradeoffs
depending mainly on what vehicle you're swapping into and what it had
to start with.  imho i think the t5 is slightly the stronger of the
two.

btw everyone - hp doesn't matter to a tranny; they're rated on torque.
the tremec john mentions above, and the toploader it descended from,
are the kings in that respect of all the trannies we've tossed about.