Re: [Amc-list] 77 Gremlin (Cont'd)

Well I found the problem with the EGR valve.

I had an incorrect EGR valve.  It seems an EGR valve
needs to have a way to sense manifold back pressure.
In the mid-seventies AMC used a spacer between the EGR
valve and the manifold on some engines. The spacer
contains a backpressure sensing diaphragm and orifice
which meters the vacuum to the EGR valve.  I had
discarded that assembly when I assembled this engine.
The valve I purchased from Rockauto had sensing ports
in the base of the valve but there were no matching
ports in the manifold.

I found the old spacer assembly in the floorboard of
another car and installed the correct EGR valve and
assembly.  The car runs good now, cold and warm, and I
hope it will pass a smog test in the next couple of
weeks.

Joe Fulton