[Amc-list] Solving problems when modifying.

[Amc-list] Solving problems when modifying.

Problem solving when changing parts around is a tricky
subject in itself. More often than not you get some form
of half-assed operation that you did not expect to get and
either;
1. You put up with it cause you have no clue how to fix
it or it takes a very long while to figure it out.
2. Or you spend a lot frustrated time and money trying
to make it work right when you were told that it should
work right in the first place.
I have found this statement to be very creative at times.
Along with no-one else is reporting this problem.

It is no secret that I am less than thrilled with the fuel
injection conversion I have on my Spirit. I frankly do not
think it is worth the money I spent on it but-------I finally
was able to solve or at least come up with a solution that
I have yet to implement on my loss of fuel pumps for this
sucker.
I have lost 4 fuel pumps running this thing. At $100.00
a pump I find this to be an un-acceptable expense for
the bennies involved. The thrill of getting my car towed
the road is not satisfactory.
Why did I loose pumps? You gotta know that before
you can fix it. After 3 years of futzing with it I discovered
that when the tank was below a ¼ of a tank and I
accelerated away from a stop light or went up a steep
hill and yes there is 7% grades here in the desert the
gasoline sloshes to the  back of the tank and the pick
up is exposed to air causing the pump to fry. Depending
on the circumstance that can be almost immediately
or accumulative over a period of time.
The solution is to put the pick up in the bottom of the
tank, NOT next to the bottom of the tank. Competition
Engineering makes sump kit that mounts in the lowest
most rearmost part of your gasoline tank so that it
keeps maxim pressure to the inlet side of the fuel
pump.  The part number is CEE-4040 in the Summit
racing equipment catalog and costs $60.00. It must
be welded into the gasoline tank to function correctly.
Templates and instructions are included with the
part. A yahoo search with this information will find
web sites carrying the product.
Of course welding on your fuel tank and cutting holes
in it require the tank to be ?hot tanked? first. That
only calls for more expense.
But installing one of these will solve the pump running
dry problems unless some one has a simpler way to
solve it other than leaving the fuel tank more than ¼ full.
John.