Re: [Amc-list] Carb Spacer...yes or no? (Performance Upgrade ?)

On Fri, 11 May 2007, I. Herman wrote:

> It's overheating now and getting sluggish when it's doing so.  Part
> of the problem is that the vacuum advance is bad.

Broken parts ruin performance more than performance parts improve it!

#1 is a must.  Spacers may improve things, reduce carb heat,
possibly some improved flow since it increases runner length, but
we're talking 1% type stuff here. #3 if you can'r spark the fuel
it goes out the pipe. Points fall out of adjustment if you don't
stay on top of them. No real power gain, just stopped losses.

Whatever you do, fix things that are broken. Leaking carb,
no vacc advance. Check all the vacuum hoses while you're in
there and just replace any that don't look new and tight.