Re: [Amc-list] bell housing

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> amc/jeep and ford t5s have the same bolt pattern.  ford v8 retainers
> are larger, so if you don't have a multipattern bell [0] they won't

We need a way to VISUALLY identify bellhousings!

When they're in the car, motor in front trans in back, at least
you can do it, with research.  But when it's a bell in your
backyard storage it's tough.

Three engine patterns, two? depths, large number of trans
patterns, and for all 1960+ eights and sixes. Is that
it? (Variations like left or right side clutch fork hole,
E-stick are minor, and if not, well we can't solve all problems.)

The engine side is easy, I have two of the three here (early,
late six). Photograph and a Gimp filter will reduce to a shape
you can see on paper or www.

Depth is a single number.

The trans end is the hardest one.

I volunteer to turn raw data in the form of photos or tracings
into information for AMCyclopedia. Lay a ruler across the trans
end of a bellhousing, photograph it; or trace it and write down
measurements, whatever.

This comes up all the time and is a big PITA. One bell at a
time will fix it. So what if it takes a year or two? We've
been talking about this crap over and over for longer than
that already!