Re: [Amc-list] Javelin Overheating

On Tue, 8 May 2007, I. Herman wrote:

> When the car is moving...there's no problem...but sit idle and it
> will over heat and starts acting like it's going to stall (only in
> idle & running).  Slight gas pedal pressing will keep it from
> knocking off, but the thing is still over heating.

Assuming you don't have a cooling system problem...

If you have distributor vacuum advance taken off the port on the
carburetor,  plug that up and take it directly off the manifold
vacuum. You'll have to re-set the idle. It will run a lot cooler.

Ported vacuum lowers idle NOx emissions by lowering combustion
chamber temperatures -- but it does this by making all the heat
go into the head, to heat the water!

> Thx in advance guys....if all goes well...i'll be able to drive it
> (with confidence) to the Southeast Meet in October *crosses fingers*
> (even if it's STILL in black primer :-P ).

Drive it! A primered Jav is still a 34+ year old cool car!