Re: [Amc-list] Scrambler clone on ebay (4.0L in Ramblers)

Re: [Amc-list] Scrambler clone on ebay (4.0L in Ramblers)

I have to agree with Tom. While I presonally prefer a nice clean engine bay like Jay and Jock, the electronics for the 4.0L are well worth it. I've not had to touch a thing under the hood of my car that is engine related since 1999 -- except to move the engine from one car to another when it was wrecked in 04.  All the wires are between the engine sensors and ECU, no need to mess with any of them. I have a powerful engine that's relatively economical and trouble-free. That's the trade-off! A good 232 with Pertronix and a well tuned/clean carb are close, but not as much power or economy, at least not all the time. On a good day, when the temp/humidity/etc. are ideal a well tuned electronic ignition (with hotter coil) 232 should be nearly as good (except for a bit less power, mainly due to 10 less cubes). But only under those ideal conditions. Cold mornings and hot afternoons, even altitude changes, will knock down power, economy, and emissions. Remember, the computer's job is
 to kee
p the engine tuned to existing conditions. If you would only stop and do a complete tune-up every 10 minutes a 60s 232 would be close to competitive... ;>

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"