Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 head is back

Tom,

Vacuum out the loose stuff and if it still bothers you, run some top
engine cleaner (the stuff GM sells does a good job) through the engine
to clean it out. The carbon build up only makes the engine more ping
sensitive (and you need to have a lot of it built up) but I doubt
there's enough compression there for it to hurt anything.

Matt

Tom Jennings wrote:
> Hot tanking, magnaflux, valve job set me back $175, and a full
> gasket set another $79. (They couldn't find a head set, eh,
> doesn't hurt to have extra gaskets).
>
> I had enough old valves and springs so that no new ones were
> needed.
>
> They fit Chevy modern type (hat with spring clip) valve stem
> seals, so I don't have old rubber in there.
>
> I probably won't get it running this weekend, too much else
> to do.
>
> Piston crowns and top of the bore have the usual carbon crud;
> should I remove it? I hate the idea of it falling down onto
> the top ring.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com