Re: [Amc-list] Tom J. Any comments on this?

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Wow! Is this common???
> http://www.swri.edu/4org/d03/engres/spkeng/sprkign/454Cyl.htm

WOW!!!

Well he says "rapid valve recession..." then "...15,000 hours"
of operation.

Umm, this isn't a problem, it's spectacularly good!

If you drove 15000 hours at 60 mph, you would have gone 900,000
miles! And we can bet that in that application that motor was
working hard that whole time.

I dunno what my valves look like, to be honest. No reason to
pull the heads on my LP 232. But it's been on LPG-only for 18
years, some 200,000 miles, and while compression is dropping
(125 psi +/- 5 now, down from 140 in 1990) the valve stems
haven't yet hit the valve cover.

Those cheapskates got a lot of use from one old chevy BB!