[Amc-list] Re; ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

SNIP
From: Swygert
<mailto:Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=%5bAmc-list%5d%20%20Re;%20
ELECTRO-RAMBLER%20=revisited=>  Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM
<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
That was me John. Yeah, 300 mile range is wishful thinking! Don't know
where I saw that/what I was thinking, but about half that is the best
for some ultra light (compared to production cars) home builts. Ranges
vary from 50-150 miles, depending on way to many factors.
SNIP

There is actually quite a bit of information on the internet for
Electric Automobiles and the like and I have had more than a passing
interest in the subject, but I think at this time in my life a lack
of funds to pursue it any further. A number of years past in a different

environment I had the need for a riding lawn tractor and managed to buy
a used top of the line GE Lawn tractor in good shape. It had 6 deep
discharge batteries in it, a 36 inch mower deck a 3 speed forward series

parallel switching net work with voltage dropping resistors and a
varying
voltage  applied to the field windings for changing speed with out the
heat loss of dropping resistors (read also loss of heat equates to
wasted
power and range.) It also had a 3 speed manual transmission for pulling
heavy loads or getting over soft terrain or hills.  Wheel Horse also
sold
the same thing only in Red. This is where I found that range ratings
were to be digested with a large dose of salt. It was rated for
mowing 4 ½ acres. As my yard was on a slight hill, the tractor would
stop
dead 20 feet from the end of the back yard at about ½ acre. Turning
off the mower deck would allow me to drive back up the hill to the
charger so I could re-charge it to finish the last 20 feet. However
as my dog loved to ride on the thing we would go for about a 1 mile
ride through the hills and dales of the town on asphalt. (Decreased
rolling resistance) and it would perform just fine, however to conserve
power you watched the ampere gauge going up hills and slowed down to
keep amperes used to a minimum to insure being able to get home with
the thing. Excessive use of amperes did nothing but generate heat and
waste power. It was an interesting toy to have but the best part was
when I no longer needed a lawn tractor of that power I was able to
sell it.

The second electric vehicle I owned and is still in use is a mobility
scooter using 2 12 volt batteries for 24 volt drive. It is supposed
to have a range of about 20 miles or so, but that is heavily dependent
on the quality of battery used. I have owned it now for about 10 years
and bought it used for a grand and Valerie needs it to get around
with. It has performed flawlessly during that time period and used
used up about 6 sets of batteries and about $100.00 a set and it gets
used on and off road, through the hills and dales and camping. For
our use, it has been satisfactory except for the one time I purchased
batteries that were just not up to the job of getting the thing
around.

But then again, it only weighs about 130 lbs and I can pick up
the main piece to place it into the van and place the batteries
and the seat in separately. There is a place for this technology
but I think that it would be difficult and expensive to create a
practical automobile, at least in my area the following example
would not work. I very rarely drive that little of a distance if
I were to have an electric 4 door sedan. But I would not complain
if the car it self was a toy and capable of shooting to the grocers
or the post office or something similar and be kind of fun to drive
too. Who knows, maybe some day I will have a Roadster

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/02/07/the-top-ten-electric-vehicles-yo
u-can-buy-today-for-the-most-pa

SNIP
The latest success story comes from Oregon where Charles and Ronda
Crockett ripped the gas engine out of a 1994 Saturn wagon and stuffed
in 20 batteries and an electric motor. A school librarian, Charles
says he's not much of a mechanic or electrician but he does know how
to conduct research. The goal was to build a vehicle that could go 80
miles on a single charge.

The used Saturn cost just $900, the batteries were $1,700 and the
conversion kit was $6,700. Charles says the cost of the conversion
will be paid off in gas savings within two years. By his math, a
daily commute costs between 30 and 60 cents. With his gas vehicle
it was $10.
SNIP

This example seems to be more typical than not when I go looking for
information.

Weight must be kept at a minimum to get any kind of range at all.
Rolling resistance and terrain are also very important.

Who knows, maybe when I get my Hornet Hatch back done and sold I can
afford to find out.
John.