Re: [Amc-list] RE Was: Off with it's head, Now Rope Seal

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, JOE FULTON wrote:

> This may have been the type of improved rope seal that
> was mentioned by Matt Haas.
>
> Ebay Item  8040065086

Thanks!!!

BTW, I've ended up doing a full valve job. I'm hoping the pile
of valves I have means I won't have to buy new ones. The shop
thinks they can fit new-style Brand C valve stem seals.

The head was NOT cracked, it magnafluxed OK. That's a big relief.
All of the parts look very nice all hot-tanked!

My current thought on the bottom end is to not touch it. I will
drop the pan to clean out trash and inspect.

I heard a faint tap tap tap from the oil filler neck, that varied
in character with RPMs. That's the only reason I'm paranoid
about it at all. All of the crank journals are pressure-fed so
"bad oil" will flush out, unlike the valve stems, and they're
lubricated presumably since lots of oil was flowing up top.

It ran so smooth and quiet otherwise that I am probably being
overly sensitive to whatever that noise is. It's pretty faint,
not audible with the valve cover on and the cap on the oil
filler.

It could be the fuel pump cam follower tapping the cam as the
car uses fuel after revving, in fact now that I've thought
of it that's exactly how it varies. As we used to say at an
electronics shop I worked at, 'SHIP IT!'.

I can't think of any better way to diagnose it, so I'm gonna
drive it. If it turns out something was bad, it probably means
there were other problems down there and I'll deal with it if
it comes.