Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The neat thign there is that you don't need the clutch
> to takeoff, can't stall an electric!

I get your point, but you actually CAN "stall" one... remove
the driving voltage, and SHORT IT! A permanent-magnet motor
becomes a generator when you spin it. A "short" is just a low
resistance, and absorbes all the energy from the spinnin shaft,
and will close to lock up the motor. (Non-P.M. types will need
field excitation, etc).

That's how you'd do energy recovery, which is the real solution
to a truly efficient vehicle. We piss away a quarter of the
gas tank in the brakes in city driving! It's stupid!