Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

Re: [Amc-list] ELECTRO-RAMBLER =revisited=

you've got a lot of weight to play with; I figure about 800 lbs,
ditching the engine, cooling system, tranny, and gas tank.  and that's
not even eating in to the payload of the car.  how many prius battery
packs would that add up to?
-----------------------

You mean the packs that Toyota won't even disclose a price for? Battery
power is one of the sticky points of a home-brew electric. Due to cost
you're pretty much limited to deep cycle lead-acid batteries which have
to be replaced every three years or so. Still, there's enough savings in
fuel cost to warrant the replacements. If Lithium Ion batteries could be
purchased reasonably conversions would be much more efficient.

I don't think the motor without trans will work well either. To much
weight, to much road speed spread. If limited to 40-50 mph, you could
probably gear so that a transmissionless design would work efficiently.
As it is at least a two speed is needed.

Hmmm... make a front cover and bearing plate for a BW OD unit and drive
through that. Easy to work with, light weight, and efficient two speed
tranny! The solenoid wouldn't take that much juice to hold in. Of course
the later LD OD or a Gear Vendors unit would work also, and those are
mainly hydraulic units. At least the hold-in part is. Now THAT would
work!! I wonder if a cable could be used to push the OD locking pawl in
on a BW unit? Using it as a two speed trans that might work.