Re: [Amc-list] Off with it's head!

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Sound slike what I expect to find in my 37,000 mile 327.
> Sure leads one to believe it may be a very wise choice to open it up and thorughly clean and lube it before running it!

Yeah, my only hesitation was 'sheesh, do I need another project'
but obviously I'd already decided 'yes' by taking the car in
the first place :-)

I plan to un-pan it Friday or Sunday. Will find a gasket set
-- and non-ancient valve seals! -- on Monday when I get paid.
I oiled down the top-exposed cylinder walls but I think I'll
run some AeroKroil down the rings from the top today or tommorow
to soak.

>  I'm leaning towards replacing the rings on the 327. I imagine them to be original and after being squeezed/compressed for darned near 40 years now [1968 Jeep engine, last of the 327's] I've got to believe some of their flexibility has gone away!

Yeah, how many times do you want to do this job? That's what
I ask myself :-)

>  , I'm going to have to drag this thing out from the wall and get it on an engine stand. Probably need one of those too. Mine is a little on the cheap side to handle a 327.

I've had the Navarro 181 hanging from a stand for a year now,
I think I better stack it on blocks properly before it falls
or something stupid. It's a bare block+head, not a 327, but it
can't be good.