Re: [Amc-list] 287/327 trans. stuff

Frank Swygert said:

>The torque tube for the 63-66 Classic is the same for manual and auto
>cars, Classic and Ambo. That's right -- the 65-66 stretched Ambo used
>the same TT as the shorter wheelbase cars -- the perches on the
>crossmember and maybe the plates on the side of the engine were
>different. I know the CM has a different part number; the perches would
>be easy and relatively cheap to change as well as would making new
>plates -- especially compared to the cost of a longer TT assembly and
>the space to stock another in inventory. I haven't checked the engine
>mount plate part numbers or had a long wheelbase Ambo to compare with a
>Classic/Rebel.

I can personally vouch for this.  From 1976 through about 1982 or so, we
had a 64 Classic wagon with the 287.  At about 175k, the rear end started
making these loud, terrifying noises.  I went to Al's Auto Parts in
Richmond, and they had a 66 Ambassador 4 door.  We took the rear from it
and it went in without a hitch.  A side benefit was that the ratio was
numerically lower -- it was a better gear for highway driving.  The 287
loped at 70 mph.

That car kept on going strong until about 190k, when I hosed the engine via
some sheer stupidity that I'm too embarassed to get into.  Even then, it
kept running to about 220k until it just got too bad to fix.

-- Marc