[Amc-list] America

Some American nation human history is now being remembered.

http://www.vt.edu/about/vtsnaps/images/bldgs/603970lg.jpg

Whether it's from the 1770s, the 1870s, the 1970s, or 2007, Americans take moments for silence, Americans light candles, and Americans, like many at this institution of higher learning, one of America's, and the world's, finest, let music speak what words simply cannot.  Tonight, in our Student Living Center courtyard, Bach and Bernstein might help those Americans remember the past and move ahead into tomorrow.  Americans can only learn; Americans can only hope; only Americans can save America.  Among those making silent and/or sonorous remembrance will be many -non-Americans-; they, too, might think about the past and the future of the America they have come to for study.  Someday they might become Americans as well.  As all Americans have.

Some Americans remember America as American Motors history.

Someday they might make the sad past into the shiny future.

Americans can learn; Americans can hope.  But only AMC fans can make a better AMC.

Some American Motors auto history is now at the Grindhouse:

http://www.eastman.org/fm/feininger/m197806060109.jpg

http://www.adclassix.com/images/39nashsedan.jpg

http://www.grindhousemovie.net/

Is "Brand X" a '69 AMX or a Jav?  No, it's a Ford Mustang!

Some pre- (early-) American Motors history is now on video:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/index.shtml?vidID=90532

Some American Motors Pacer owner history is now in a museum:

http://www.phxart.org/exhibitions/curves.asp

Some American motor [Mopar] history is now repeating itself:

If you want a new AM Packard Ambassador President Imperial, buy it now, while you can.

Without Chrysler, can Daimler survive as an independent carmaker?  Probably not since Mercedes on its own is too small.  To survive tomorrow, four million annual units may be a break-even point.  Mercedes cars and trucks, and Smart cars, count less than two million today.  To match the production, sales, and profit of a Toyota, Mercedes must somehow grow.  Porsche bought Volkswagen/Audi/etc. to survive; Daimler needs a global partner to survive as well.  BMW builds more cars than does Mercedes; Lexus may build more cars than both before long.  Audi builds more models than ever; GM is rebuilding Cadillac and Hyundai is building respect.  While Chrysler is to Daimler as AMC was to Renault, the road to survival is not assured for Mercedes.  Benz may be the oldest of the old, but so too was Oldsmobile.  If Mercedes makes the absolute best cars on this planet, if Mercedes cars are what every other carmaker wants to copy or equal, if M-B sells and services its cars at the absolute
 best dealerships in each market, Mercedes can grow, profit, and survive.  If it can't, it can become Germany's last independent.

And BTW, whoever buys the new "New Chrysler" (if you know American motor history, you know every age when Chrysler was "New" before) will need a new global partner too, to survive.  Chrysler must steal 1 to 2 million sales a year from Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, etc., and Hyundai/Kia --- to survive.  If too few choose a Sebring over a Camry, Accord, Altima, or Sonata, Chrysler can run a new [AMC] Concord closeout sale.  Four years later, it can become the newest last American independent.

Or it can survive to become the newest chapter in the long history of a Mullen Motors.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aaQnPwyqvGXA&refer=news

Everything old can be new again.

As in April 1970 and April 2007.

http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/articles/70gremad.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/32j497

In April 2057 or April 2077, Toyota can face the possibility of a takeover as well.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a.vVA1tLOy4M

So in 2007, 2017, or 2107, as in 1907, 1917, 1937, 1967, or 1977, cars can live on.

They may make new memories --- Chinese, Japanese, German, or, yes, American motors,

http://www.autoshanghai.com.cn/english/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsGallery.aspx?AR=225304&EL=-1

but someday these days will also be remembered: we hope more for good than for bad.

If you are among those Americans who look, listen, learn, and -remember-, you know.

A 1967 Ford had been "quieter than a Rolls-Royce" (Galaxie LTD v. Silver Cloud [!])

http://tinyurl.com/2ln9j2

A 2007 Ford is "quieter than a Lexus" (Edge versus RX350 [in an ad by David Mamet!])

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QNNdb3O2WE

A 2007 Ford is also "quicker than a BMW" - Edge v. X5 (so are V-6 Camry or Altima!); but many Americans might not remember that, in 1947, Packard built its millionth car, on this week in 1967, GM built its 100-millionth, and, to Boldly Move SW v. sushi v. sauerkraut v. sedan v. sport pony, that 1982 Camaro Z28 took 9.7 seconds to reach 60: three-tenths -slower- than 2007 Scion xB --- an old box with a 1.8L I-4.  The new box with the 2.4L four-banger may prove even faster.

Faster than a speeding bullet?  Oh, America.

America today is America's history tomorrow.

Do your -own- part to make America its best.

I didn't go to the NY show because R was in Beijing and Shanghai then; not going to Paris this week or Vienna the next, but happy to be in America remembering American Motors, because there's no better place to be.  Even if I am not driving a new 1967 Marlin or Ambassador 990 "around the scenic Pacific Northwest."  It sounds tempting.

So be nice, Americans: it's a hokey idea, but be hokey, be pokey, and make history.

Whether you have a small arm or truck arms, build -everything- better.  Arm-in-arm.

That's what made American history.

Finally, since laughter bests tears, I'll send a photo that's been in my file since who knows when, for who knows what reason, who knows why.  It happened to be titled "Johnny Cash AMC" and the car's license plate is priceless.  Or it might be in RM $.  I will send it to Mike, who began the thread.  I hope he will host it and share the URL with whatever still exists of the good old AMC community.