[Amc-list] Tilt Steering Column

I'm trying to change my steering column in a '73 Javelin from a non-tilt column to a tilt column and I'm finding LOTS of problems.
My first problem is the length of the column. I've found that there's about 1 3/4 inches difference in length. I can handle that problem by cannibalizing two other columns I have to make one good one.
My main problem is the wiring is different on the tilt column I want to use. I've disassembled the wires from the plugs and inserted them in the proper order for my Javelin, but the plugs won't match up. I'm at a point now where I'm about to snip a portion of the plug so it'll fit. The alternative to that is to disassemble the plugs again and solder matching colors of wires together so they'll work. Any suggestions?
Also, I have two loose wires under the dash, one yellow and one orange. The orange wire has a large female plug on it and the yellow wire has a small male plug on it. I have no idea where they go. HELP!!!
Stay Safe and May God Bless America; Bob