[Amc-list] Re; engine swap... sacrilege or not????

[Amc-list] Re; engine swap... sacrilege or not????

Snip
so, i ran into a guy today who has a 74 charger. he
" just got the new "hemi" crate engine and trans kit. he
" currently has a 318 bored "30 or 40 over" with a 727.
" he said once he gets the swap done,
Snip
Sounds as if he is not worried about the term sacrilege,
with a car that has far more value to the collector
community then a salvaged beater AMC Ambo. Why then
should you be concerned?

Snip
he wants to dump
" the engine and trans CHEAP. he made CHEAP very clear.
" about 5000 miles on rebuilt motor i guess.
Snip
Whatdoyuhknow, sounds like Rambler mentality to me!

Snip
 would it be
" so wrong to put that drive train in the 65 with either
" a ladder bar or triangulated 4 link?
Snip
By whose definition?
It is your car, your money and your project. Dropping a
new engine in, is not the easiest project in the world
unless it is a bolt in and you have all the parts to do
it which very few people have and even fewer have the
skills and money to fabricate a first class job.
Things like motor mounts, radiator fan clearance, exhaust
clearance, steering column clearance, bell housing
 clearance, transmission clearance, transmission hook ups,
wiring modifications, radiator mounting, accessories and
and A/C locations, drive shaft modifications if required
and the list goes on. And this only includes parts that
are relatively easy to find. Not to mention the cost of
a limited production and or the availability of off shore
exotic parts to frustrate the efforts.
If it was my money I would be taking a serious look at
a GM V6 such as the Buick 3.8 along with a 700R4 if automatic
inclined as not only would parts be readily available but
there is also a wide range of modified parts available
for both pieces.
But to each their own.
I generally have kept the engine in my AMC vehicles that
came with it and modified it to run the way I wanted it
to. But that does not mean that I have not thought about
a serious re-engining project.
I just have not had the inclination to go through the
hassle and expense if doing it when I could make the one
that came with the car run in the way I wanted it to.
Now transmissions have been a different story but that
is also another story.

There are also engines I would not make any attempt to
install too, but that is also another story.
My opinion for what it is worth, get the MOPAR motor
and tranny cheap and then go have fun with it.
John.