------------------
Date: Friday, April 13, 2007 11:43 PM
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, farna@xxxxxxx wrote:

> About the filter -- it's worse than just dirty oil running
> back into the engine. It's a PARTIAL FLOW filter. Only 20%
> at the most gets filtered at any one time. The filter is
> plumbed into the main oil galley just like a pressure sensor
> owuld be. Only excess pressure goes through the filter. It's a
> "better than nothing" filter, that's it.

Yeah, I know of the partial-flow design and the detergent/trash
business. I wonder if excessive maintenance could offset it in
this modern age (I ain't running non-detergent oil!).

It's a pleasant motor to drive though. It loves to lug! There's
no spark advance to speak of so it doesn't care. It's light,
with a quick axle, which the OD makes up for.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"