Re: [Amc-list] setting tranny cable tension

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Jay wrote:

> I am trying to remember how to set the tension on the cable on my  American
> that sets the shift speeds. I know it can be done with a pressure gauge on
> the side of the tranny, but needless to say, I don't have one or know anyone
> who has one.
> I read somewhere, and I can't remember where, that there is an adjust
> procedure that gets you pretty close to the proper tension.

For the aluminum Borg-Warner auto trans behind sixes?

The Technical Service Manual says, with the car off, take the pin
out of the trans cable clevis. The carb should be physically on
the hot idle stop (eg. make sure it's not cold with the choke
on that increases the idle).

Pull the throttle cable out as far as it goes.

ADjust the clevis so that when assembled the pin is a free fit.

Adjust the clevis two turns longer.

There's no spec for doing this with a pressure gauge.