Re: [Amc-list] Bent Pushrods (and other 195.6 trivia! )

Re: [Amc-list] Bent Pushrods (and other 195.6 trivia! )

Tom, when mine stuck after sitting just a few months I "worked" them with a mallet and wood block (with rockar shaft/arms off, of course!) until they were realy free. I also shot some WD-40 (or some other type of penetrating oil) under the seals. That probably helped. After the engien flush everyting was fine. One stuck again about a month later, but after a few squirts of penetrant and a little working it was free again and never had another problem. Probably some carbon or varnish on the valve stem worked loose that had managed to hold on through the first go-round. Typically the flush (after "working" and penetrant) clears it right up.

The only other idiosyncracy of that engine I can think of is the head torque, which you've taken note of.

The water pump can be a problem. If you have a spare, send it off to be rebuilt. The waterpump moved to the front of the block in 1957 (from the side -- first year 195.6 OHV engines still used a side mount pump driven off the generator). There are at least three different pump castings. One (the oldest) has only four bolts holding it on, the other two have five. Either of the five bolt models will fit, but the water heater outlet is in different places and would require re-routing hoses to accomodate. There are two shaft lengths -- American and big car. I'm not sure the "other" heater outlet pump is made with the American shaft length... in fact I'm pretty sure it's not, unless by mistake. But remember the part number snafus we've discussed? The last time I tried ordering a water pump I got the four bolt first, the long shaft "other" heater outlet location second, then just had my old one sent in to be rebuilt. All had the same part number!! Someone decided all 195.6 water pu
 mps mu
st be the same since most other parts interchange.

All the electrical parts are standard Delco six cylinder for the OHV, Autolite (Ford) for the L-head, so points, starter, and generator are relatively common or can be readily repaired/rebuilt by any auto electric shop. If you get stranded on Friday afternoon due to a failure (those parts unlikely to fail without giving warning) you might be stuck until Monday. If the water pump goes out you might be stuck for a week or two! That's the only common maintenance item that can really be a problem.

A spare that sits on the shelf can dry out (or NOS unit). The trick is to soak it for a while (an hour would be nice, 30 minutes might be enough) before installing. That softens the seal back up and makes the pump useable again. I once put an NOS one on and it lasted a couple weeks! I pulled a used one, soaked it ina bucket overnight, and ran it for five years (putting 5-7K on it a year -- 25-35K miles!!) with no problems. Took burning the NOS up in a short time to figure out the problem! Had it rebuilt as a spare, soaked before putting on five years later, and it ran for... well, was still on the car when I sold it a few years later.

Started to just send this to Tom, but realized others may find it enlightening!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"