Re: [Amc-list] Least Coast vs. Left Coast, old ramblers

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, farna@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It appears that when a 195.6 OHV sits for a while the valves
> tend to stick.

That could explain the bent ones, but why did the others
fall out?! They had no bends detectable with a Starrett 18"
straightedge. It's just f'ing weird I tell ya.

I register it tomorrow; the oil's OK but I will change it
tomorrow, and at the end of 500 - 1000 miles (depends) I'll
add Sea Foam per instructions then change again, then get on
a normal oil change sked.

I'll change the filter both times, though it seems silly seeing
how it's fed with a 1/8" steel line! It's a voodoo filter,
not a real filter. When the motor turns off the dirty oil runs
back into the crankcase!

Oh well I guess when clearances are huge and compression and
pressures are low, anything works. I love low tech!

> That little 440H looks like it's going to be a great project car Tom! Twin-Stick too!! I'm very familiar with the 61-63 Americans -- drove one for 14 years and have fixed everything on one of the four or five total I've owned over the years at least twice!!

Don't 440H's have a script that says so? This one doesn't and
doesn't look like it ever did.

If the engine seems OK, I will make it a solid runner in the
next few months and drive it all ugly'n'sh*t as I pick at
the interior.

The only non-stock driveline I plan is the 10" brakes I've
collected, front and rear. Brake lines are rusty, the pedal is
spongy, so I will re-brake the whole thing.

I will slap on a new master cyl that fits, OEM replacement not
available, I'm not worried about pedal pressure (it's manual)
so pretty much any master cyl will work if it bolts up and
pushrod length is correct. I'm bending all new steel lines so
I don't care where the ports end up.

I'm sure the generator, fuel pump, water pump etc will all drop
dead in rapid succession, so I'll start cleaning up the spares
I have (no gen or water pump yet but I'll find 'em. Water pump
scares me.)

Suspension seems "good enough" for now, but I'll see what
happens when I try to fit the big brakes.

I hope I can find 185-75R15 tires! Oooh, maybe racy 195's!

I've got a 2bbl carb, and the extra-large soda straw exhaust,
so clearly no more performance mods are needed.