[Amc-list] Tapered shaft Shim suggestions.

[Amc-list] Tapered shaft Shim suggestions.

Back in the old days when it was a popular conversion to put pre-war
hydraulic brakes on mechanical brake Fords, you could put the rear
brakes from a 1940+ on a model A by making a shim to wrap around the
tapered shaft that was used for the rear hub. Similar to AMC
applications in the 70's and 80's. You needed to mount the hub on a shim
to keep the hub from rubbing on the backing plate. The high tech.
solution used at the time, was to cut the shim out of a tomato soup can
and then wrap it around the tapered end of the axle shaft and slide the
hub over it and torque things down. Worked fine, lasted lone time.
Sounds like this would work on the tapered shaft on front tie rod ends
to me.
John.
P.S, to do the same thing on the front you bought a cheap adapter kit
from J.C. Whitney, it worked, but was the last time I bought something
from J.C. Whitney.