[Amc-list] Key Switch

The car is a 79 Pacer Wagon Limited. Damn nice car but with the annoying
habit of the key not starting the car. This car has the Adjust-O-Tilt Column.
When I bought the car you couldn't start it by the key but had to short out the
solenoid. Later while installing a quartz modified clock under the dash, it
started working !!??.
It worked for four months and quit again but on occasion, especially when
messing around under the dash, it would work again for a few times and  quit.
I've removed the ignition switch which is located on top of the  steering column
(!) cleaned it, adjusted it and re-installed it. It didn't help.  I'm sure
it's an electrical problem somewhere hidden in the bowels of the dash.  I'm no
mechanic or electrician. Anyone have experience with this problem and can
offer help?.  Otherwise I'll have to take to an electric shop and  suffer the
slings and arrows of; lack of knowledge, high prices, and......".What  kind of a
car did you say this was ??"

Nolan  Dehner
Nor Cal AMCs
Windsor, Ca 95492