[Amc-list] Re; EFI install on Eagle

Russel

Snip
I have a question for those of you that have installed EFI on your
inline 6s. When you switched to EFI, did you eliminate the manifold
heaters?
Snip

This answer is a two part situation. First of all I installed EFI,
specifically multiport fuel injection on my 1975 engined, 1980
Spirit. The first use of the water heated intake manifold was 1981.
While I have one on the shelf, I have not got a practical use
for it at the present time, however playing around in the back
of my mind is using it with a 2bbl to 4bbl adapter to install a
4bbl carburetor on my 1976 232. If I go that route I will both
disconnect the electrical connection for the manifold heat and
will also disconnect and plug all water passages in that manifold.
I will also use a 1980+ exhaust manifold which has no physical
connection to the intake manifold for manifold heat.

However back to the original question. When I installed fuel
injection I replaced the existing cast iron 2bbl manifold with
the fuel injection manifold which was derived from a 1994/1995
port injection manifold.
Additionally I replaced the cast iron exhaust manifold with a
1981+ exhaust manifold which works correctly with the modified
port injection manifold.

To do so, I had to replace the studs in the head with shorter
1981+ studs to bolt everything together correctly.

There was no water connection to the intake manifold. The only
water connection involved was the heater hose connection on the
thermostat housing which I used an adapter for (due to the fact
that I installed EFI on an A/C equipped car) a mounting location
for the engine temperature sensor used with the fuel injection.
The A/C bracketry interfered with the recommended location for
this sensor, and this method was a suggested alternative that
worked.
However I had no problems with any fittings leaking.
Which probably doesn't help you either 'cause you are having
problems with a stock 1988 Eagle 2bbl carburetor aluminum intake.

 John

I re-taped the front connection and over a period of a few days
of not driving the car, the thing has leaked again. Perhaps the car is
upset that I haven't driven it? Also... the thermostat outlet has a 3/4"
hose fitting while the (leaky again) intake manifold fitting is 5/8".
Does anyone have a clue which one is not the right part? Was there a
screwy hose with two different I.D.s on each end? Thanks so much.
Russell Neyhart