[Amc-list] axle pulling time ...was Droning American

[Amc-list] axle pulling time ...was Droning American

OK guys, how do you pull an axle on an American 6 cylinder car when you
don't have any of the "J" tools mentioned in the TSM?

I jacked the car up today after having re-installed the driveshaft and just
jacked up one side at a time. With the left wheel off the ground, I put it
in drive with the engine running and there was a strange sound coming from
that wheel and the wheel was wobbling back and forth. I stopped the wheel
and turned of the engine, then jacked the right side up. No particular noise
with the same test as on the left side. The wheel didn't wobble or make any
strange noises. I then proceeded to jack up both sides with the jack under
the diff. and ran the same test again.  No particular noises coming from
either wheel, but the left one still wobbles (that is the one I already
changed wheels on the other day.)  I am told by a local guy that I most
likely have a bad wheel bearing on that axle.

BTW, my driveshaft still bounces around, but not as much. I have a new
bushing on its way to me from  Harold Wenner. I saw a bushing kit at
Advanced Auto Parts and it was steel. Are the OEM bushings made of steel or
bronze?  I no longer have an oil leak at the tailshaft seal.  I am still
going to have to get the driveshaft balanced this coming week.