Re: [Amc-list] Looking for parts & advice.

Re: [Amc-list] Looking for parts & advice.

" From: Russell Neyhart <rtneyhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" Is the 4.0 liter really that much "better" than the 258?  Would anyone
" in "normal" driving even notice?  For instance, I have a Howell EFI
" setup (not installed yet) so someday the BBD setup will be a nice
" conversation piece in my workshop, with the EFI setup would there be
" much if any real difference between the two engines, performance or
" economy wise?  I have a relatively low mileage engine for the year and
" don't see any reason why I'd want to swap it for a 4.0 for regular duty
" just putting around town and going to shows.  If there is a thread that
" has discussed this already... please point the way!

dunno about the howell, but the 258 with the mopar efi kit was rated
160-170 hp.  that makes the jump to 4.0 power a lot smaller and the
4.0's cam doesn't have the low-rpm power the 258's does.

if you needed a new engine the 4.0 would be a reasonable choice, but i
don't think it'd be worth scrapping what you already have.