[Amc-list] Had a Treat Tonight

My neighbor and I stopped by Scott Henningsen's
restoration shop tonight.  Scott was putting the
finishing touches on the engine restoration of a 1911
Rambler Model 65.   I was so pleased to be able to see
the car and to see the newly rebuilt engine actually
run.  Scott said the car was largely restored when he
received it and his task was to rebuild the engine,
which was a basket case.  He made new pistons and some
other moving parts.  His assistant ground a new cam.
The engine was a work of art as totally befitted this
very impressive large car.

According to Scott this was the first company car
purchased by the Coca Cola Company for their
executives.  It may be the only surviving Model 65.

Scott has promised me some pictures of the rebuild
progress which will get posted somewhere for all to
see.

Some facts about the car:

4 cylinder engine rated at 50 brake horsepower.
5 inch bore and 5 and a quarter in stroke.
Scott upped the compression somewhat by making the
pistons one-half inch taller than stock.
42-inch wheels
The owner special ordered eight tires (two full sets)
from Michelin at a cost of $2500 per tire.
Dual ignition system, battery and magneto which may be
used alternatively.

The car leaves the shop tomorrow to return to the
other restoration shop for completion.
It will be on display at Pebble Beach this summer,
after which the owner plans to tour with the car.

Scott has promised me some digital pictures of the
rebuild progress since I did not have my camera with
me tonight.

I got to hear, probably the only 1911 Rambler engine
running on this day in the whole world.  You did good,
Thomas B. Jeffery.

I'm stoked.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA